The Pilot point drill bits sized 1/16" to 3/16" do not have a pilot point on them any longer. This does not in any way reduce the performance of the bit with regards to speed or life. To start off, it is important to understand the purpose of the Pilot Point bit tip. There are two basic advantages of the pilot point tips. First, it reduces "walking" or movingand second for pre-drilling holes. Both of these advantages are seen in larger size bits. In the first advantage, reduction in walking, the larger your bit size the more likely it is to walk on the material you are drilling into, metal in particular. by reducing the size of the starting point and by having a split point design the user has more control. Basically, you are scaling down the size of the starting point to an optimum size to increase control. The reason it is not an advantage on the smaller sizebits is because they already have the optimum size tip to reduce walking without the pilot point tip; there is no advantage to the pilot point on these bits. As for the second advantage, pre-drilling holes, this method is typically used on larger size drill bits. Predominantly,youwould pre-drill when drilling a hole that is 1/4" or larger. This is done to reduce the wear on the bit, reduce the wear on the tool and produce a cleaner hole. The smaller bits aresufficient enough to start and finish the hole on its own. The advantage to removing the pilot point from the smaller sized bits ismore speed. The reason it gives more speed is because instead of pre-drilling and then drilling the diameter you want, youare drilling the final diameter from the start which allows you to complete the hole at a faster pace.
Articles in this section
- Can the lock on switch for my DEWALT® DW235G drill be disabled at a service center?
- What is the maximum power draw of the DEWALT® DCB104 multiport charger?
- Do you have the DEWALT DWST20880 Mobile Storage Internal Dimensions?
- What staples and brads fit the DEWALT® DWHT75021 Stapler?
- What are the jaws of the DEWALT® DCE200 Press Tool made of?
- DEWALT® Battery meaning of Suffixes on Kits
- Does my air compressor require a break in period?
- Do you have a dust shroud that will fit the DCG414 grinder?
- What is the throat depth of the DEWALT DWHT83149 Trigger Clamps?
- I just changed phones or downloaded the Tool Connect App update, and now don't see my tools?